Issue: What do I do if I think that the judge that is presiding over my case has committed an ethics violation?


Insight: You should contact the Commission on Judicial Conduct for your state.  Each state has a different process for submitting a complaint, but a written submission describing the ethical violations accompanied by supporting evidence is usually required.

If the Commission believes that the judge has committed an ethical violation, it may begin disciplinary proceedings by issuing a complaint.  The judge will be given an opportunity to respond to the allegations of misconduct.

The Commission may reprimand a judge informally with or without a hearing, or could hold a formal hearing where evidence is presented and could recommend that the judge be publicly reprimanded, suspended or removed from the bench.  The Commission’s recommendation is usually then presented to the state’s highest court, which will render final judgment.


Comments are closed.

Contact Information